Sponsoring Conjugal Partner to Canada


Conjugal Sponsorship

Under the conjugal sponsorship you are eligible to sponsor your partner to Canada even if you are not married or do not qualify under the definition of common law sponsorship. Through this sponsorship route, you can sponsor your partner even if you do not currently live in the same country as one another.

This route is designed for couples who in fact cannot reside in the same country as one another, but otherwise wish to live together as a married couple does. Therefore, if you cannot get married or be in a common law relationship due to your circumstances you may be eligible to apply under conjugal sponsorship.

Find out below if you are eligible under this category, prior to starting your application for conjugal sponsorship.

What is a Conjugal Partner?

Conjugal partners are just like married couples but are not married, and cannot reside together to qualify as common law partners due to reasons beyond their control such as:

  • immigration barrier
  • religious reasons
  • sexual orientation

A conjugal partner is a person that is currently living outside of Canada, has had a binding genuine relationship with their partner for at least one year. Therefore, to apply for conjugal sponsorship, one individual must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Conjugal partners can be same-sex partners or otherwise, it does not matter.

Who is Eligible to Sponsor their Conjugal Partner?

To be eligible to sponsor a partner, you must meet all of the following requirements. You must be:

  • A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident
  • At least 18 years old
  • Living in Canada:

– If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored partner becomes a permanent resident.

– You cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada

  • Able to prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs for your partner and their dependent children.

Who Cannot Sponsor their Conjugal Partner to Canada?

You cannot sponsor your partner. If you:

  • Sponsored a spouse or partner and three years has not passed since this person became a permanent resident. Since you signed an undertaking as the sponsor, you must complete your three year term before sponsoring someone else
  • Were sponsored by a partner or partner became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • Sponsored someone and that person went on social assistance while the undertaking was in place. You must pay the government back of any social assistance that was received to be able to sponsor future partner
  • Are in default on an immigration loan or a performance bond
  • Owe child support or did not pay court-ordered alimony
  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • Were convicted of a violent or sexual offence, an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offences
  • Are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison
  • Are under a removal order
  • Have already applied to sponsor your current partner, partner or child and a decision on your application has not been made yet

Important Documents for Conjugal Sponsorship

When submitting your application, it is important to be mindful of the documents you submit and providing the supporting documentation that proofs you qualify under conjugal sponsorship.

Some of the documents include:

  • You must show an ongoing and genuine relationship for at least 1 year with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada
  • You must have combined documents, to the extent possible, with their Canadian partner
  • You must show that cohabitation was not possible due to reasons outside of your control
  • You must show that you intend to live in Canada once the application is successful

How Can I Prove my Relationship is Genuine?

One of the most important aspects to getting a positive decision on the application is proving your relationship is genuine. Some documents you can include to prove genuineness include:

  • Records of any correspondence between the couple, such as e-mails, internet chats, mailed letters, etc.
  • Gifts and/or gift receipts of any gifts given to one another
  • Travel itineraries from trips taken together
  • Any photos of the couple together at different points in their lives with friends and family
  • Reference letters from friends and family that can prove the genuineness of the conjugal relationship
  • Personal statements from the couple confirming their relationship and the hardships of not being able to live together

Contact Akrami & Associates

Sponsorship applications may look like straight forward applications. However you would be surprised to see how many applications have been refused, returned or gotten a procedural fairness letter to explain circumstances within a limited period of time.

It is highly recommended to contact an immigration professional prior to pursuing the application on your own. Many times applicants submit an application in which they don’t even qualify under.

Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients reunite with their partners and they are now extremely happy living in Canada. If you believe that you may be eligible to sponsor your partner, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Tags: , , , , , , ,


Call us today, we can help with your spousal sponsorship
You can reach us at:
Email: Info@thevisa.ca

Contact Us