Requirements You Have To Meet As a Spouse
A person married to the sponsor. If you are married inside of Canada then you must have a marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place. Must be at least 16 years of age, legally married and not otherwise married to someone else to qualify for sponsorship.
If you are married outside of Canada, it has to recognized as legal in the country in which the marriage took place.
To Apply Under Spousal Sponsorship
- Get the application package from Citizenship and Immigration Canada according to where the sponsored person is living. If the person is living in Canada already then use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common Law Partner. However if the spouse being sponsored is living outside of Canada then use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class.
- Have to pay the processing fee in Canadian dollars and the best way is payment through online method. Information about the fees can be found on the CIC website.
- Send the filled out application to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Canada, who will then process your application to sponsor your family member
- Once CPC approves you as a Sponsor you application will then be forwarded to a Canadian Visa Office.
A Sponsor is required to enter into a Sponsorship Agreement with the sponsored person(s).
In this agreement the Sponsor makes a commitment to provide basic requirements for the sponsored member. Amongst these basic requirements are food, shelter, clothing, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and other goods and services including dental care, eye care, and other health care needs that are not provided by public health care.
By signing the agreement, the Sponsored person also promises that she/he will make every effort to support himself/herself. The Sponsored person has a duty to not solely rely on his/her Sponsor and rather find way to earn a life for him/herself.
The Three Important Documents for Spousal Sponsorship
- A valid passport for the spouse being sponsored
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residence by the Sponsor
- A Marriage certificate which would validate the relationship between the couple.
Other documents should also be included that would show the validity of the relationship between the couple. Such documents can range from emails, gift receipts, letters or itinerary from a trip taken together, pictures. The sponsor will also need to provide information regarding his or her financial status. While there is not income cut off requirement for spousal sponsorship however it is still a requirement to provide this information to CIC.
A spousal sponsorship application can be applied after a marriage has occurred and a marriage certificate is available to verify the relationship. Furthermore, when all the required documentation that is needed to be submitted along with the application is ready and available that is when the spousal sponsorship application should be filed.
Contact Akrami & Associates
For more information on spousal sponsorship, please contact us and one of our representatives will be glad to assist you.