Conjugal Partner Visa



Can I sponsor my conjugal partner?

You may sponsor your partner to come to Canada under the Conjugal Partner Visa category if you have exceptional circumstances beyond your control that prevent you from qualifying as spouses or common-law partners. This applies to both same-sex and opposite-sex couples. The standard of what determines who is a conjugal partner, however, is not based on a physical relationship alone. You must show that the relationship is a mutually dependent one, that it has some permanence and the same level of commitment as a marriage or common-law relationship.


Your partner is eligible to be sponsored as a conjugal partner if the following requirements are met:

  • You and your partner have been in a conjugal relationship for at least one year
  • You and your partner have been prevented from living together or getting married due to:
  • An immigration barrier
  • Marital status (your partner is married to someone else and is unable to divorce that person because of laws of the country your partner lives in)
  • Your sexual orientation (for instance, if you are in a same-sex relationship and are not permitted to get married as a result of that)
  • You are able to provide evidence of any impediments to living with your partner

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you like to sponsor your conjugal partner and unsure where to start, please feel free to contact us at 416-477-2545 and will be glad to assist you with your matter.