In Canada you can sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and your dependent children. You can do this from inside or outside of Canada. Both you and your family member need to meet certain requirements in order for the sponsorship to be successful.
You as the Sponsor Must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Live in Canada;
- Be able to provide financial support for all family members you want to sponsor;
- Not be in default of any government or immigration loans.
- The time for which you will be financially responsible for your sponsored family member, depends on who they are (i.e. Spouse, children, mother):
- Spouse: 3 years from the day they receive their Permanent Residence
- Dependent Children (Including your spouse’s children or adopted children): 10 years or age 25 whichever comes first from date of becoming a permanent resident
- Parents, Grandparents or their children under the age of 19: 10 years from the day they receive their Permanent Residence
*Also keep in mind that adult family members also need to agree to support themselves.
As a sponsor you may not qualify if:
- You made a sponsorship application in the past and you failed to follow the terms of the agreement
- You were ordered by court to pay child support and you have failed to do so
- You were not disable and claimed government assistance
- You were previously convicted for offences, of a sexual nature, a violent crime or bodily harm , to a partner (spouse, common-law conjugal partner, boyfriend/ girlfriend), a child (foster, adopted or stepchild), a parent/grandparent or/ and the spouse/children of any of them
- You are currently in prison
- Your spouse or common-law sponsored you within the last five years and you are now a permanent resident
- If you failed to pay any government loans and, if you missed or made late payments
- If you claimed bankruptcy and are not yet discharged
Sponsorship is quite a detailed process but it is certainly worth the time and effort, especially to be united with your loved ones. At Akrami & Associates, we focus on your need and the needs of your loved ones. With our extensive experience and knowledge we will be sure to provide you with the best advice and service to help you reunite with those you love.