What is the purpose of the Spousal Sponsorship Interview
The purpose of the interview is to eliminate potential marriage fraud, as many people use marriage to obtain Canadian permanent residence. If you are required to attend the interview, you will receive a notification regarding the date and location for your interview. This process is to ensure the couple’s relationship is genuine. The questions you may be asked include but are not limited to:
- How and when did you two meet?
- How did your relation develop?
- Did you know your spouse before you met them?
- Who attended the wedding?
- If you and your spouse have exchanged gifts, what was exchanged?
- When and where did you get married?
- Describe the accommodation where you both lived?
Often times, officers will also ask questions that may seem trivial. For example:
- How many rooms were in the house you lived in?
- Who does/did the cooking and the laundry?
- What education does your spouse have?
- What educational institution did your spouse attend?
- When did you for vacation together? Where did you go?
- What food was served at the wedding?
- What does your partner or spouse have for breakfast?
- What is your partner or spouse’s favourite drink?
- What sports or hobbies does your partner have an interest in?
- What is your partner’s or spouse’s favourite place to eat
- What is your spouse’s or partner’s date of birth?
- Does your spouse or partner like his/her job?
- What kind of movies or music does your partner enjoy?
Can I sponsor my Fiancé to Canada
No, you cannot sponsor your fiancé. If you and your spouse are not officially married yet, you must wait until you are legally married to be eligible for spousal sponsorship.
Alternatively, you and your partner may be eligible to apply for a common-law sponsorship, if you and your partner have been cohabitating for at least a year in a marriage-like relationship. In order to prove your cohabitation that is at least a year long, you need to provide joint documents, such as shared ownership of residential property, leases, rental agreements, bills for shared utility accounts, and so on.
What is a
The sponsorship undertaking is commitment of a sponsor to provide financial support and basic needs for the principal applicant (the person being sponsored). The purpose of the sponsorship undertaking is to ensure the principal applicant will have access to all basic necessities to life. They can include but are not limited to:
- personal requirements
- household supplies
- healthcare (eye and dental ) that is not provided by public health
Can I sponsor if I live outside Canada
If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while living outside of Canada. A permanent resident, on the other hand, cannot sponsor when living outside Canada. Regardless of the sponsor’s status in Canada, both the sponsor and the principal applicant are obligated to reside in Canada once the principal applicant becomes a permanent resident.
How can I avoid the delay of my application
Your application will be delayed or even refused if you do not meet all requirements. For example, if you do not meet the photo specifications, your application can be returned. As a result, it is highly recommended that you seek professional help prior to submitting your application. If you are planning to submit the application on your own, make sure that you:
- read the application guide carefully for your immigration category
- follow the instructions on the IRCC website
- properly fill out, sign and date the application forms (make sure all questions are answered, and there are no blanks on the forms)
- make sure all forms are the up to date
- include all the required documents as indicated on the application checklist
- pay the government fee and include the receipt in your application package
- double-check if you have included everything in your application package before submitting it
Please also keep in mind that your application can still be delayed due to situations beyond your control. For example:
- there is a delay for your medical exam and criminal background check take longer than usual
- you are required to have an interview with an immigration officer
- the IRCC have too many applications to process
Contact Akrami and Associates
Sponsoring your spouse can help your family reunite in Canada. You may also enrich your spousal by giving him/her a chance to live and prosper in a country that is culturally diverse and welcoming. Furthermore, Canada may gain productive permanent residents to help contribute to the Canadian economy. However, applying for sponsorships can be very confusing and overwhelming, as there are different types of requirements that you would need to meet. It is important for you to pay close attention to every detail during your application process. The failure to do so could result in application refusal. Ultimately, it could make you ineligible to sponsor any individual in the future, or make you inadmissible to Canada if you are the principle applicant. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you seek professional help. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients obtain permanent residency in Canada through the different types of sponsorship. If you have any questions regarding sponsorship applications, or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545.
With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!